Sunday, August 14, 2011

Life Update

Back on the grid! Sorry it's been so long. I keep thinking "when I'm less busy, THEN I'll have time to blog" and as the time absolutely flies by, I realize it's always going to be busy and that's just the way life is.

Spring flew by. I coached lacrosse this year and loved being outside every day. At the beginning of the season (February) it would take hours to warm up from being outside for so long, and then at the end of the season I had the start of a farmers tan. I love sunshine. I don't think I could ever live somewhere like Alaska where they literally don't see the sun for months at a time. Utah winters were hard enough - no green, no blue, no colors... Pretty bleak. I love my green Georgia and my blue sky, thank you very much!

The summer was full of wonderful things that of course made the time pass all too quickly.
Before our school got out: Holly graduated from HS, so we went to Springfield to celebrate! Highlight of the trip: homemade Qdoba style salads!!!
Week 1: Post-Planning
Week 2: Girl's Camp Mon - Fri!!! LOVED going. LOVE my YW.
Week 3: Justin was part of a small group that sang the National Anthem at a Braves game. Go honey! I prepared for the family reunion. Left on Friday for NC.


Week 4: Houghtaling Family World Summit - YAY!!!! Highlights include: the beach, Austin's family history highlights, Beach Olympics, Weenie Mania, daily trips to the grocery store, yummy food, lots of games, playing with cousins, watching family videos, and just relaxing!

Week 5: leave on Thursday for LA where we spent a romantic Thurs - Sat in LA for Justin's birthday. Went to see LES MISERABLES, walked around downtown, ate delicious food. SUCH a relaxing vacation. Then headed down to San Clemente for the weekend with many of Justin's friends. Beach + amazing fun people + lots of laughter = wonderful weekend. Including capturing our host's baby and doning the official Old Navy onsie despite there being an official ban on such t-shirts :)

Week 6: return from LA to go to Scott's Basic Training graduation in Ft. Jackson, SC. He is now stationed in Ft. Lee (VA) doing advanced training in Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD - aka the bomb squad). Then Fri/Sat Justin and I were both at youth conference as chaperones. One really fun thing about both serving in the youth program is that youth activities can almost double as date nights :)

Week 7: nothing except for Harry Potter midnight premiere and Zumba classess with friends and sister Claire.

Week 8: I re-read all 7 Harry Potter books after being inspired by a Lifetime bio on J.K. Rowling.

Last week of summer: Watched the other HP movies and got stuff ready for school. Justin took a day off work to take me to Whitewater for my birthday. Then my friend from high school got married and it was WONDERFUL to see so many old faces and remember how things used to be. Then we celebrated with family and again with friends. Yay for birthday weekends!

I think this may have been the best summer ever. It was a wonderful mix of vacation, new places, things to look forward to, LOTS of memories made, catching up with old friends/family and making new friends... I love the people in my life and love that they inspire me and make me want to be a better person.

And here we are, back in school. Teachers went back (and volleyball started) Aug 1. Justin went to some of the scout lake campout and had a BLAST. The kids returned last Monday Aug 8. This year I'm the assistant Varsity vb coach - which means a much busier fall. I forget how busy it is to work 12 hour days... especially after having free time all summer. I find myself resentful when other teachers say how busy they are after school that their kids didn't get in bed until 8pm b/c it was such a busy day. I feel "excuse me - I don't even eat dinner or get home until 8pm or later sometimes... What do you have to complain about?!?" But then I remember that I signed up for this and I love it and busy or not, I wouldn't choose something else.

So: I will try to blog maybe twice a month? Not sure I can do any better than that, but that's my goal! And see below for pictures from our various summer activities!






















4 comments:

Mother of Eight said...

Whew! That makes me tired just thinking about all that fun!! What a great summer! Amazing how time flies (when you are having fun:)
Love you!

k d L said...

erin! send me your email addy. i have some CUTE pictures of you and that little munchkin!!! thatsalaugh@gmail.com

Laura said...

Fun, fun, fun! Good luck as life picks back up! At least you have nice weather to enjoy - fall is going to come early to Cache Valley. I can feel it.

Peterson's said...

Hey you obvioulsy have pictures I need you send me from the reunion. DO IT NOW!