Monday, May 10, 2010

More Gardening

Well it is that time again for the garden update. I hope someone out there is following this and enjoying watching things grow as much as we are. So a few updates. We went to the store the other day and bought a bulb of garlic. As many of you know often there are litte green shoots coming out of some of the cloves. I have always heard you aren't supposed to eat those(I don't know if that is true, but whatever) anyway instead of cooking with them I wondered if they would grow if I planted them and sure enough within a few days they were poking through the dirt and are now 6 inches tall. I also planted some marigolds at the top of my tomato planter, they are huge but no blooms on them. Anyone know of a weird marigold species that grows tall but doesn't bloom?

Another addition to our garden family are some yellow supper squash and ANOTHER zucchini. Erin LOVES fried zucchini, grilled zucchini and she makes AMAZING zucchini bread so she wanted LOTS of zucchini. As anyone who has grown zucchini before knows, typically you get so many zucchini and they are SO big that by the end of the year you can't give it away fast enough. Well Erin was concerned that we would only get a couple and they would be the cucumber sized ones like you buy in the store, despite be trying to convince her otherwise we planted another so if any of you would like some zucchini PLEASE let me know. We added a summer squash cause we realized we eat it a fair amount. But now, as you can probably imagine, the entire length of our deck is lined with buckets and plants.

We are very excited about everything and have tomatoes on our plant (LOVE the Topsy Turvy p.s.) and have dozens of green beans and radishes. Our only disappointment is that one of Erin's flower planter baskets is doing awesome and the other one hasn't quite figured things out yet. Look at the picks you will see what I mean.






2 comments:

Bethany said...

Hey Erin! I just found your blog through Heather's blog. It looks like life is going great for you! You know how one blog leads to another, well, I was just looking at, I guess, your mother in law's blog and you should tell her that I think she is a really good writer. I would read her book if she wrote one.

Molly said...

Talk about a green thumb! Your plants look gorgeous you guys! I am totally impressed. :)

And reading about all the zucchini makes me laugh. Beware! ;)